Peace plate

Here is another project that I made in 2009, that was previously posted on Xanga.

Since one of the assignments was to make a plate with words on it, I designed an ambigram of the word peace. I first carved it into the clay and then filled it with sky blue slip. After the slip dried I had to scratch off the excess. As a result of filling in the letters, my wonderful carving job does not show up.

peacePlateFixedq
The photos don’t show the colors accurately. The blue is actually a bright sky blue.

The picture is horizontal so you can turn your head to read the word from both sides. Easier than turning your screen upside down (unless you’re using a mobile device) or doing a headstand.

peacePlateFixedhq

Unfortunately, it cracked during the bisque (first) firing.

peacePlateBisqueq

It cracked more during the oxidation (second) firing, after I glazed it.

peacePlateCrackedq
Unfortunately, Photoshop can’t fix things in real life. 😦

In the past I’ve said that I’ll definitely remake this if I have the chance, but I’m currently going through a luminary phase, so I think I might remake this if I run out of new ideas.

Floral slab plate

In 2009 I took my first ceramics class and I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t until recently that I started making ceramics again, but before I share photos of what I’ve just made, I’ve decided to post some of the items that I made back in 2009, starting with this one.

I had posted this on Xanga before, referring to it as the “test plate” since I made this plate to test the slip colors. The ceramics studio had pink and sky blue, but no purple, and for my coil pot, I imagined a design with purple flowers. I asked the instructor if it was okay to mix colors, but he didn’t give me a definitive answer, so I decided to try it out myself before trying it out on my coil pot (which took forever to make so I didn’t want to risk messing it up). Since it didn’t feel right to just test the slip on small slabs of clay, (as most people would do), I decided to go the time consuming route and make a test plate with the same design that I wanted on my coil pot.

This is how it looked before the bisque (initial) firing. Unfortunately, I took the picture under bright sunlight, so the colors are muted, though they were “pastel” to begin with. The colors didn’t look much different after the bisque firing, either.

After the clear glaze and oxidation firing, I was amazed with how the colors turned out.

IMG_4783f

Top view

IMG_4786f

Side view

IMG_4789f

The underside

The purple—more like lavender—worked. Yay!