My second woven wire cuff

This week I started making another woven wire cuff. It is the same design as the one I made a couple weeks ago, but in different colors and a smaller size (to fit my 6-inch wrist).

The color of the weaving wire didn’t appear correctly in the photos. I tried adjusting it, but couldn’t get it to match exactly. (If you’re wondering, I used 26 gauge Artistic Wire® in Peacock Blue. I didn’t buy it from this site, but the color in their photo looks most like it.)


Given what I had learned the first time around, I knew to do some things a bit differently, such as trying to leave more room between the top and bottom wires so I can have an easier time securing the coils in place. To minimize waste, I measured out a length of wire that I believed would fit me for the outermost wires, while leaving the middle wires long for the embellishments. I still ended up cutting off about 1 and a half inches from one of those wires, so if I were to do this project again, I would adjust the lengths of the three middle wires as well, even though it’s a bit clumsy to weave when the base wires are different lengths.


Once again, the embellishments were the hardest part. I feel stressed out when I do them because I don’t want to accidentally knock off the colored coating from the weaving wires. It’s also difficult to decide how I want to position the coils.


I think it looks quite nice at this stage, but it’s not practical to wear because the loose coils can get caught in things.

There are three things that I am concerned about when doing the embellishments. The first is how the wrapped wire looks. Unfortunately, this time I had forgotten to do the weave for three wires that I had done last time. I didn’t feel like taking apart my work again, so I kept it that way. Since I did not have any instruction on what to do with the ends of the wires, they are challenging for me. I need to make sure the sharp ends of the wires are tucked away so that the bracelet is comfortable and the wearer doesn’t get scraped. Also important is securing the ends so that they don’t come apart.


I had a hard time deciding what to do with my coils. Although I think they’d look more interesting sticking out more from the cuff, it’s usually better to have them stay as close to the cuff as possible to prevent them from accidentally snagging on anything. Since I didn’t want to copy the example design exactly, I left one coil sticking out completely. After I finished securing that wire in place, I thought it would be better if the coil were lying against the cuff, but it’s too late to change it because I don’t want to undo and then redo that part. I figured that I’ll be careful when I wear it. If I were making it for someone else, I wouldn’t do it that way.

I do think the end result is pretty, though I’m not entirely happy with how it turned out. I don’t plan on making another one of these any time soon, given how my fingers are sore again and my thumb nail chipped again during the process, but after they’ve recovered, I might want to try a different style of a woven cuff.

Woven wire cuff

Saturday I went to a wire weaving class. It was my first time wire weaving, but the instructor said I was pretty good at it. The project that we were making was a cuff bracelet.


We were given 18 gauge copper wire for the base wires, so I decided to use my purple (actually “grape” colored) 26 gauge wire for the wrapping.

We were told to push the wrapped work up every few layers since this weave tends spring back. I wrapped quite tightly so I couldn’t push it much, but the instructor was still able to push it back some. Since I kept pushing my weaving up while I was doing it, I ended up chipping my thumb nail.


The class was two and a half hours long, but I stayed for three hours. The instructor was very helpful. By the end of the class, I had the basic cuff with the clasp completed, but I had to do the embellishments on my own. My fingers were sore, so I didn’t work on it the rest of the night and next day.


Yesterday morning I finally finished it. I will be honest: I had no idea what I was doing when I was doing the embellishments, but I still had fun! I accidentally scraped off the purple coating from parts of the cuff. 😦 I wish I hadn’t wrapped the top and bottom wires so tightly, because I could have used some more space to wind the wires that were holding the coils in place. It’s a learning experience.

I actually made my cuff a bit too large for my wrist, which made the wires for embellishing shorter. I might do the project again in different colors and make it my size.