I first learned of these adorable pea pod pendants from a class offered by the Meetup group. I didn’t actually take the class, but during the herringbone bracelet class, the instructor mentioned it’s the same weave for the pea pod pendant. (I don’t know why the photos in the post are so blurry. They’re sharp when I am editing the draft. You can click on them to see a slightly larger image.)
I watched some video tutorials online. In the first one, the wire was bent in half and you wrapped both ends of the wire around the beads. I didn’t like it because it looked messy, but now I think it’s just the way those particular ones were made. In the second video that I watched, she wrapped one end of the wire, much like the herringbone weave. I thought I liked that version better, so that was the one I tried first, except I put it on a headpin. After making it, I decided to try the first version, and to my surprise, I liked it better. It also gives you two tendrils. Of course, my first attempt would be to make it tiny! I had some green 3mm round beads that were lying around unused. (I bought them because they were cheap and I thought I could do something with them, but when they arrived they didn’t look quite like how I imagined.) The only green 26 gauge wire that I have is sea green colored. I wonder if there isn’t enough contrast between the color of the beads and the wire, but since that’s what I have, that’s what I used.
As you can see in the photo above, the leftmost one was made by wrapping one wire. Hence, it only has one tendril. I wasn’t completely satisfied with it, so I gave the two-end wrapping a try. (Plus, I messed up when wrapping the loop, resulting in a gap.) The shape of the second one is my favorite, though I’m not sure what I did differently. I didn’t finish it because I had used a piece of previously used scrap wire, thinking it would just be a test. I might take it apart to reuse the beads and headpin, since the previous bends in the wire and parts where the color had come off are visible. After that, I made the rest using the two-ended method. My next best one was the fourth one. When shaping the fifth one, I accidentally nicked off the color with the pliers. I didn’t time how long it took me to make one, but they didn’t take long to make. Since my pendants are small and light—more like charms—I decided to make them into earrings. My major concern is that the tendrils might get caught in hair. I wore them for a couple hours and had no problems, but I was careful to keep my hair away from them. Another concern is that the 26 gauge wire might not be strong enough to withstand bending, so the pea pod could get deformed easily. More testing is necessary before I can make these for sale or give them as gifts.