After buying the lavender yarn, I thought of making Lee Bay another sweater. I was planning to make the bottom edge ribbed, and give stockinette stitch another try. I wondered if I should make it a hoodie, but then decided to make the hat separate, and that’s what I ended up making. It took me at least four tries before I got it to work.
I first made the ears, by making a smaller version of the ears in this pattern. Then I was inspired to make the hooded part by this pattern for a hooded scarf with cat ears. Since Lee Bay’s ears are on the top of his head, I needed to make room for them in the hat. Otherwise, it would just look lumpy. That’s when I looked up how to make holes in knitting, and came across vertical button holes. That was just what I needed!
It took me a few tries before I got an adequate number of decreases, so that the hat fit around his ears without extra bulk. Even though it was advised to use the tails to reinforce the button hole, I ended up not doing that, because it made the hole too tight for his ear. Besides, I wasn’t going to actually use it for a button, so it wasn’t going to be subjected to lots of wear. The hole also became tighter after I sewed the ears on.
Lastly, I used mattress stitch to sew both halves of the hat together. It is a bit snug, so if I were to make another one for Lee Bay, I would add another stitch to both halves.
I had actually finished making this three weeks ago, but for the past two weeks I have been extremely tired, which is why I haven’t gotten around to posting this until now.