For my second knitting project, I decided to make a vest for my dear old plush bear, Lee Bay. I chose a vest because Lee Bay has stubby little arms that don’t really need sleeves.
I started by casting on 30 stitches and making a rectangle for the backside of the vest. Since Lee Bay is proportioned like a gummy bear, his backside requires more material to cover than his front.
To make the front, I started with the right (his left) side. I cast on 14 stitches and decreased them as I went up to make room for his arm. On my first try, I forgot to add the button hole, inadvertently making Lee Bay a she-bear. (I’ve always thought of Lee Bay as a he, but have been uncertain about it in recent years. I’m being silly.) I ended up redoing it because even though garter stitch doesn’t have a “wrong” side, it wasn’t until afterward that I noticed that the cast on stitches looked better from one side than the other.
I didn’t watch this whole video on knitting a baby peacoat, but from the parts I saw, I was introduced to casting on additional stitches after starting the project, which is what I did for making the parts that go over his arms.
I decided to use another one of those wooden beads for the button, since it really doesn’t matter how secure the button is in this case. I learned how to knit a one row button hole from this video. I had to experiment several times to get the correct hole size, because the hole got wider as I made subsequent rows. (When I first completed it, the yarn above was still tightly wound around the needle, but after adding more rows, the fabric could stretch.) Consequently, I had to decrease the size of the hole, so that it wouldn’t be too loose for the bead.
For the left side, I did the opposite of what I had done for the right side. Then I sewed all three pieces together. I didn’t realize how much stretch the knit fabric would have, so if I were to make something like this again, I would cast on fewer stitches, since this vest doesn’t fit as snugly as I had hoped, but it’s good enough.