In 2009 I took my first ceramics class and I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t until recently that I started making ceramics again, but before I share photos of what I’ve just made, I’ve decided to post some of the items that I made back in 2009, starting with this one.
I had posted this on Xanga before, referring to it as the “test plate” since I made this plate to test the slip colors. The ceramics studio had pink and sky blue, but no purple, and for my coil pot, I imagined a design with purple flowers. I asked the instructor if it was okay to mix colors, but he didn’t give me a definitive answer, so I decided to try it out myself before trying it out on my coil pot (which took forever to make so I didn’t want to risk messing it up). Since it didn’t feel right to just test the slip on small slabs of clay, (as most people would do), I decided to go the time consuming route and make a test plate with the same design that I wanted on my coil pot.
This is how it looked before the bisque (initial) firing. Unfortunately, I took the picture under bright sunlight, so the colors are muted, though they were “pastel” to begin with. The colors didn’t look much different after the bisque firing, either.
After the clear glaze and oxidation firing, I was amazed with how the colors turned out.
The purple—more like lavender—worked. Yay!