I’m looking for some crafts to do while I have to be somewhere but would rather be doing something else. Perhaps it’s time that I learn how to knit, since I’ve seen ladies knit at sporting events or while riding the bus.
I’ve come up with the following criteria for what makes a craft portable:
- Doesn’t have many components.
- Can be easily started and put away. (Minimal set up and clean up required)
- Won’t get messed up if hurriedly thrown into a bag.
- Can be done in limited space (such as on my lap).
The crafts that I do the most are nowhere close to being portable. Take beading for example. Even if I kept the beads in a small container with compartments, one accidental tip means all those beads will be scattered. A 5+ foot long thread in a crowded environment could easily get tangled and caught on things. Plus, the beading needle is sharp and will need to be put away carefully.
Wire working is also not portable, given the small components involved and the many tools.
These were the crafts that I could think of that seemed portable:
- Knitting and crochet. You have your needles or hook and yarn, and you’re set. I don’t know how easy it is to start from where you left off, but I’ve seen other people knit in public.
- Lanyards. Once they’re started, they’re very portable. I used to make all sorts of lanyards while in high school, but I’m not so interested in them now.
- Kumihimo. I’ve never done it before, but it looks portable, even when it’s done with beads. (Watch a demonstration here.) All you need is the disc, strings, and bobbins.
- Origami (some). It needs to be the kind that is done in one piece, as opposed to assembled from multiple pieces. Also, it needs to not get crushed easily. Paper stars sound like a good option.
- Some wire weaving might be portable if it was a small project that was already started and all I had to do was weave. There is a risk of it getting disfigured during transit.
Have you done any of the crafts that I mentioned above and can comment on their portability? Can you think of other crafts that meet my criteria for portability?