This week I started making another woven wire cuff. It is the same design as the one I made a couple weeks ago, but in different colors and a smaller size (to fit my 6-inch wrist).
The color of the weaving wire didn’t appear correctly in the photos. I tried adjusting it, but couldn’t get it to match exactly. (If you’re wondering, I used 26 gauge Artistic Wire® in Peacock Blue. I didn’t buy it from this site, but the color in their photo looks most like it.)
Given what I had learned the first time around, I knew to do some things a bit differently, such as trying to leave more room between the top and bottom wires so I can have an easier time securing the coils in place. To minimize waste, I measured out a length of wire that I believed would fit me for the outermost wires, while leaving the middle wires long for the embellishments. I still ended up cutting off about 1 and a half inches from one of those wires, so if I were to do this project again, I would adjust the lengths of the three middle wires as well, even though it’s a bit clumsy to weave when the base wires are different lengths.
Once again, the embellishments were the hardest part. I feel stressed out when I do them because I don’t want to accidentally knock off the colored coating from the weaving wires. It’s also difficult to decide how I want to position the coils.
There are three things that I am concerned about when doing the embellishments. The first is how the wrapped wire looks. Unfortunately, this time I had forgotten to do the weave for three wires that I had done last time. I didn’t feel like taking apart my work again, so I kept it that way. Since I did not have any instruction on what to do with the ends of the wires, they are challenging for me. I need to make sure the sharp ends of the wires are tucked away so that the bracelet is comfortable and the wearer doesn’t get scraped. Also important is securing the ends so that they don’t come apart.
I had a hard time deciding what to do with my coils. Although I think they’d look more interesting sticking out more from the cuff, it’s usually better to have them stay as close to the cuff as possible to prevent them from accidentally snagging on anything. Since I didn’t want to copy the example design exactly, I left one coil sticking out completely. After I finished securing that wire in place, I thought it would be better if the coil were lying against the cuff, but it’s too late to change it because I don’t want to undo and then redo that part. I figured that I’ll be careful when I wear it. If I were making it for someone else, I wouldn’t do it that way.
I do think the end result is pretty, though I’m not entirely happy with how it turned out. I don’t plan on making another one of these any time soon, given how my fingers are sore again and my thumb nail chipped again during the process, but after they’ve recovered, I might want to try a different style of a woven cuff.